Do you love chocolate? Do you love red wine? Then you will love Red Wine Hot Chocolate.
I really outdid myself on this one..rich chocolate flavor with a warm wine hug. Red Wine Hot Chocolate is an extra special way to treat your family and friends. If you’re wondering about the flavors, think about this…Have you ever had a nice glass of Cabernet or Pinot Noir with a rich piece of chocolate cake or chocolate candy? It was fantastic – right?! Well, that’s what you have with this drink…the best of both worlds…chocolate and red wine.
The first time I made this, my daughter was visiting and she was curled up in a comfy pool-side chair lost in her new book and my husband was enthralled in some college football game. I was tinkering around in the kitchen when I eyed the red wine I had opened on Friday night and the rest is Red Wine Hot Chocolate history.
What type of red wine to use
I think you can use just about any type of red wine that’s not too sweet for this recipe. And make sure it’s a red wine that you would drink. No cheapy wines for this. But you don’t need to go overboard on cost either. Here’s what I would suggest, in the order of what I would use:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
Any of these would make a good option for this recipe. And make sure you have marshmallows and some chocolate sauce to drizzle on top!
Make a larger batch of Red wine hot chocolate
To make a large batch of this recipe just click on the SCALE button under the photo on the recipe card. For all my recipes you can double and triple the ingredients easily by selecting x2 or x3…it’s that easy.
If you like this drink recipe, you’ll also like these
- Cranberry Margarita – a classic margarita made with cranberry juice
- Cranberry Sage Martini – perfect holiday vodka martini
- Red Wine Mule – a mule cocktail made with a mule mix and red wine – it’s delicious!
- Aperol Spritz – my all-time favorite craft cocktail
if you like this recipe, leave me a comment – I’d love to hear from you. And make sure you pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board so you always have it handy.
Three Ingredients is all it takes to make Red Wine Hot Chocolate. I used almond milk for mine but you can certainly use regular milk too.
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk (I use Silk brand)
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Warm almond milk in a stove top pot – do not boil.
- Pour in red wine and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows and a chocolate drizzle.
- Category: Drinks and Cocktails
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cozy drinks, winter drinks, winter cocktails,