People pleasing Homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup is ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s cheesy and creamy, filled with broccoli and carrots.
- 1/4 cup butter (I use salted butter in my soup recipes)
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces of medium cheddar cheese – shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1.5 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup half-n-half (I use fat-free)
- Melt butter in a large soup pot.
- Add onions and sweat for 1 minute.
- Add minced garlic.
- Whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add nutmeg, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to medium high heat.
- Add cheese, 1/4 cup at a time whisking continually until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add broccoli and carrots.
- Add half-in-half.
- Turn heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American