Light Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is an easy one-pot weeknight dinner using rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, fresh herbs and lemon with orzo.
If you told me I could pick only one type of food to eat for the rest of my life, that would be an easy decision because I would yell “SOUP”. I love the flexibility of soup because you can add anything to marry flavors. I especially love this soup because it’s on the lighter side and there is this extra special hint of fresh lemon…not your Momma’s chicken soup for sure. It’s the perfect summertime soup.
Since I love making soup, last Christmas my husband surprised me with what is now my favorite soup pot. Le Creuset cookware is made of enameled cast iron for even heat while cooking. If you are looking for a fabulous soup pot, check this out Le Creuset, I promise this will become one of your favorite pots too.
If you love this recipe and lemons, you will also love:
Light Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
A lighter and quick version of Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup using rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, fresh herbs and lemon with orzo.
- 4 cups of rotisserie chicken or 3 chicken breast cooked and diced.
- 2 32 oz. boxes of chicken broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 TBS ground thyme
- 1 TBS salt
- 1 TBS pepper
- Juice and zest from 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium high.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes on medium.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add ground thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and fresh thyme.
- Bring to boil.
- Add orzo and cook for 7-10 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Add lemon zest and juice.
- Serve with a slice of lemon.