Light Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is an easy one-pot weeknight dinner using rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, fresh herbs and lemon with orzo.
If you told me I could pick only one type of food to eat for the rest of my life, that would be an easy decision because I would yell “SOUP”.
I love the flexibility of soup because you can add anything to broth or stock and make an entirely new soup each time.
Time saver – rotisserie chicken
I used rotisserie chicken for a lot of my soup recipes. They are so easy and so affordable and are a great time saver. Don’t just buy any rotisserie chicken, make sure if it’s flavored that it will compliment your recipe. For example, My market sells a lemon rotisserie chicken so that’s the one I chose for this soup recipe. I would not have chosen the BBQ or the Mojo which are both good, but the flavor would have fought with my soup.
this is definitely Not your Moma’s chicken soup
It’s not your Moma’s chicken soup but I bet she would highly approve and she would love it. Two things you don’t want to skimp on in this recipe is the lemon and the fresh thyme.
Ingredient in this recipe
- Rotisserie chicken
- Chicken broth
- Fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Orzo pasta
- Ground thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh lemon juice
Here are some of my other favorite soup recipes.
- French Onion Soup
- Tuscan Bean Soup
- Low Carb/Low-Calorie Tomato Soup
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- White Bean Bean Soup
A lighter and quick version of Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup using rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, fresh herbs and lemon with orzo.
- 4 cups of rotisserie chicken or 3 chicken breast cooked and diced.
- 2 32 oz. boxes of chicken broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3–4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 TBS ground thyme
- 1 TBS salt
- 1 TBS pepper
- Juice and zest from 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium high.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes on medium.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add ground thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and fresh thyme.
- Bring to boil.
- Add orzo and cook for 7-10 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Add lemon zest and juice.
- Serve with a slice of lemon.