You won’t even miss the carbs, calories, or the cream in this Low Carb Low Calorie Homemade Tomato Soup. It’s creamy and full of fresh tomatoes and herbs.
When I tell you this soup is good and good for you I mean it! It is one of my favorite soup recipes and it helped me loose 18 lbs. in just 7 weeks. Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good piece of homemade bread and a slice of pie as much as the next person. But the truth is that I needed to shed a few pounds. For me, one of the quickest ways is to cut out the carbs. I can hardly believe that this Low Carb Low Calorie Homemade Tomato Soup helps me keep the weight off and I don’t miss any of the carbs or calories.
Being a carb lover and a soup lover, I really missed a good bowl of homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese…it seriously doesn’t get any more comforting than that. I knew I could say goodbye to the sandwich, but not my soup. So I can up with this low carb low calorie tomato soup that is as good, if not better, than my regular tomatoes which (which is pretty darn good too).
As far as I’m concerned there is only one kind of canned tomatoes to use in any recipe and that’s San Marzano Tomatoes. They are actually a plum tomato that comes from Italy. They are especially sweet and rich in flavor becasue they are grown in a volcanic soil. San Marzano Tomatoes are perfect for making sauces and soups becasue of their firm flesh and sweet taste.
Krazy Kitchen Mom Tips
- I use a combination of canned San Marzano Tomoatoes and fresh roasted tomatoes in this recipe.
- You can ubstitute vegetable broth, for the chicken broth to make this vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- This recipe is dairy free.
- This recipe is keto friendly.
- This soup can be stored in an air-tight container for 3 days.
More great soup recipes:Print
Low Carb Low Calorie Homemade Tomato Soup
You won’t even miss the carbs or the cream in this Low Carb Low Calorie Homemade Tomato Soup. It’s creamy, full of fresh tomatoes and herbs. So good you won’t make tomato soup any other way.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: roasted, blended
- Cuisine: American
- 4–6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small (14.5 ounces) can of whole, peeled tomatoes (I used San Marzano Tomatoes)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (substitution: vegetable broth)
- 2 TBS fresh thyme (substitution: 1 TBS dried thyme)
- 4 fresh Thyme sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Slice the tomatoes into quarters.
- Slice the garlic clove in half.
- Toss the tomatoes and garlic in the olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic onto a cookie sheet and add salt and pepper.
- Roast them for 15 minutes.
- When the tomatoes and garlic are finished cooking, pour the entire pan (with juices) into a blender.
- Add the can of whole tomatoes (juices included).
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the tomato soup, from the blender, into a stove-top pan.
- Add the chicken broth and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs (optional).
Vegetarian and Vegan substitution: use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth