This is the easiest Black Bean Soup you will ever make. And you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry.
Did you know that black beans are actually called black turtle beans? Black beans are very popular in Latin American, Cajun and Creole cuisines. We like hearty soups which is why our black bean soup is a bit more chunky – almost resembling chili. I used can beans in this recipe because I made it on a weeknight and I wanted it cooked quickly. I do use dry beans when I have the time to soak them.
My two favorite kitchen tools for soup making are my Le Creuset 3 1/2 quart dutch oven and my Kitchen Aid emersion blender, also called a hand blender. I’ve had my emersion blender for well over 15 years now and it’s a workhorse for all of my cream soups and sauces. My husband gave me the dutch oven last year for Christmas and I use it almost weekly.
Black Bean Soup
This is the easiest Black Bean Soup you will ever make. And you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 15-oz. cans of black beans – rinsed and drained
- 16 oz. chicken stock (you can substitute with vegetable stock)
- 1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion – diced
- 3 carrots – peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno – diced
- 1 jalapeno – sliced for garnish
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1/2 TBS chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sour cream for garnish
- lime slices or wedges for garnish
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium high.
- Add onions, carrots and jalapenos and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Add all three cans of black beans.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce it to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and blend the soup with the emersion blender until you have the consistency you like.
- Serve topped with sour cream, jalapeno pepper slices and a squeeze of fresh lime.