Feast your eyes on this refreshing Shrimp and Mango Summer Salad. Shrimp, mango, bell pepper, jalapenos and bib lettuce, tossed in a lime vinegarette – perfect for any spring or summer day.
I’m not sure what I like most about this Shrimp and Mango Summer Salad; the bright colors, the fresh and refreshing flavor, or the smiles on my friend’s and family’s faces when I serve it. All three of these are reasons to love this salad.
The other thing I love about it is that it’s easy to make and it’s perfect for a make-ahead salad. There are several ways to make this ahead:
- Cut up all of the ingredients ahead of time and store them in zip-top bags. When you’re ready to serve, just pull out your pates and assemble, or
- Prepare individual plates ahead of time if you have room in your refrigerator, or
- Prepare one large plate to serve family-style…make sure you have room in your refrigerator for a large platter.
Living in South Florida, we get an abundance of mangoes in our local grocery stores and farmer’s markets. And they are usually available year-round. Having lived in the northeast for 20+ years before becoming a Floridian, mangoes were a rare site so I really didn’t learn how to pick the perfect mango or how to store them or even how to speed the ripening of one if it wasn’t quite ready.
Although you might think you can select a ripe mango by picking the brightest colored mango, you should give it a little squeeze and use your nose. When you squeeze it, it should give a little…not mushy and not hard. Also smell the stem and you should get a slightly fruity aroma.
The other thing I have learned about mangoes is that they should never be stored uncut in the refrigerator. They should be left on the counter. And to ripen a not quite ripe mango, use the avocado method to quicken the ripening…put it in a paper bag for a day or two and you will have a perfectly ripe, deliciously fruity, and juicy mango. Once you’ve cut a mango, store them in a zip-top bag or sealed container for up to a week.
Here are some other shrimp recipes you might like:
Shrimp and Mango Summer Salad
Shrimp and Mango Summer Salad – Shrimp, mango, bell pepper, jalapenos and bib lettuce, tossed in a lime vinegarette – perfect for any spring or summer day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 lb. medium-size raw shrimp
- 2 ripe mangoes – peeled and diced
- 1 large or 2 small dice jalapenos – ribs and seed removed
- 1/2 red bell pepper – diced
- 1 large or 2 small heads of bibb lettuce
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime – sliced for garnish
For the dressing:
- Juice and zest of two limes
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Toss shrimp with olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Pull out about 10-12 whole shrimp and set aside for garnish.
- Remove tails from the remainder and chop into medium-size pieces…about three pieces per shrimp.
- In a bowl, whisk together lime juice and zest, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Toss chopped shrimp, mango, jalapenos, bell pepper together with dressing.
- Lay bibb lettuce on a plate and put the desired amount of shrimp salad mix on each.
- Garnish with lime and larger whole cooked shrimp pieces.
I like to serve this ice cold.