Rotisserie Chicken Bean Tostadas are an open-faced Mexican sandwich topped with beans, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole.
Shout out to the person who invented the rotisserie chicken. When I’m at the market, I get memorized watching the slow turn of all those lovely chickens in a perfect row going round and round on the skewers. And when it comes time for me to pick the perfect chicken, I pick up each packaged bird inspecting it carefully for evenly browned skin and weight. I find that although they all look similar in size, some are heavier than others. And I equate that heavier weight to mean more meat. I also look for an evenly browned crispy skin. What could be easier than buying a slow-cooked juicy chicken, bringing it home and making Rotisserie Chicken Bean Tostadas?
Assembly is very important when it comes to making tostadas because you don’t want them to fall apart in your hand when you pick them up. I find that by putting the refried beans on first, they act as a base so the chicken doesn’t fall off. Then building it from there, I add the shredded lettuce, tomatoes, a dollop of guacamole. Next, I sprinkle it with the cotija cheese and then drizzle the entire tostada with salsa. My other key is to toast the tortillas ahead of time getting them crispy but not overdone or they will crumble when you eat them.
And how about a cocktail to go with these delicious hand-held tostadas?
Rotisserie Chicken and Bean Tostadas
Rotisserie Chicken and Bean Tostadas are an open-faced Mexican sandwich topped with beans, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and guacamole.
- 1–2 cups rotisserie chicken – shredded
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1/3 can refried bean (I used a 14.5-ounce can)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed and then sliced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 TBS prepared salsa (I used the chunky style from the deli)
- 3 ounces of Cotija cheese – crumbled (Cotija is also called Mexican Crumbling Cheese)
- 1 lime – cut into wedges
- 6–8 teaspoons guacamole (I used store-bought for this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place corn tortillas on a cookie sheet and back for 16-17 minutes or until the edges brown and curl.
- Cool cooked tortillas at room temperature.
- Spread 1-2 TBS of refried beans on each tortilla.
- Top with a handful of shredded chicken.
- Top with shredded iceberg lettuce.
- Add salsa.
- Top with guacamole.
- Drizzle with the juice of one lime wedge.
- Sprinkle with cotija cheese.
- Garnish with jalapeños.
- Serve immediately, open-faced.