This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
My favorite color is green so today we are celebrating the Tomatillo! Which, if you didn’t know are green in color. They are also know as the Mexican Husk Tomato and have tomatillo have a unique tangy and tart flavor. In fact I prefer green sauce over red sauce (unless it’s Italian of course) any day.
I was at a local market recently and they had a ton of tomatillos so I filled my bag, ran home and whipped up this delicious Tomatillo Chicken. I served it with saffron rice because we had my son and his fiancé over the night before and I served a big pot of saffron rice with dinner; I made so much I had plenty leftover.
Once I made this, I was wishing I had served it the night before when the entire family was over for dinner. Well, there’s always next weekend. From now on, Tomatillo Chicken is going to make a regular showing at our house.
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 8 tomatillos – husk removed and cleaned
- 1 small onion – diced
- 1 jalapeno – seeds removed and diced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut tomatillos in quarters.
- Cut chicken into large strips (I do this because it helps the chicken cook faster).
- Add olive oil to stove top and oven proof pot. (I use a ceramic stock pot).
- Heat oil on medium high for 3 minutes.
- Add diced onions.
- Add cumin and coriander and stir until it is mixed in.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatillos, stir and cook on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook it until it browns.
- Add chicken stock or chicken broth.
- Place pot in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes. (I check it at about 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven and, with two forks, shred any of the chicken that hasn’t already shredded.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Healthy
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Leave a Reply