This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Easy Low-Calorie Spanish Cauliflower Rice is a flavored packed side dish that comes together in 10 minutes. It’s perfect for any weeknight dinner.
Spanish cauliflower rice is very low in calories
Let’s face it, where else can you find a side dish recipe that is loaded, and I mean loaded with flavor for under 50 calories per servings? They only way to make this even less in calories is to use fresh diced tomatoes which would cut out some calories and the majority of the sodium for those who are on a sodium-restricted diet.
- Frozen cauliflower rice – you can find this in the freezer section, with other frozen vegetables, in any grocery store.
- Diced onion
- Diced bell pepper
- Diced jalapeno pepper
- Can of fire-roasted tomatoes – you can find this in the canned vegetable aisle of your grocery store.
- Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Cilantro
- Jalapeno slices for garnish
how to make Spanish cauliflower rice
- Add olive oil to a hot skillet. Add onions, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in spices.
- Next, add the frozen cauliflower rice, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the can of fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the fresh chopped cilantro and garnish with jalapeno slices.
frozen cauliflower rice versus fresh cauliflower rice
The truth is that you can certainly use fresh cauliflower. Simply zap it up in your food processor to get the little tiny “rice” pieces. But no matter what I do, whenever I cut a head of cauliflower, for any reason, I seem to get little pieces of cauliflower everywhere and it just creates more work for me.
So if I am making a dish for any type of cauliflower rice recipe, I always use a bag of frozen cauliflower rice. The frozen cauliflower rice is a perfectly portioned sized for about 4 servings as a side dish. It’s also really convenient because I always keep a couple of bags in my freezer. And you’ll see, with this recipe, how quickly and easily it cooks.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- 1 10- ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/2 onion - diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper - diced
- 1 small jalapeno - diced
- 1 141/2 ounce can of fire-roasted tomatoes substitue: 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 TBS fresh chopped cilanto
- Jalapeno slices for garnish
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in a stove-top skillet.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chili powder
- Stir in the frozen cauliflower rice.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the fresh chopped cilantro.
- Garnish with sliced jalapenos.
Leave a Reply