This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
A couple of years ago we visited Sedona. It was a wonderful trip with amazing views, great hiking and the best street tacos I have ever eaten. Since that trip, I am obsessed with street tacos. Street Tacos are probably the most common type of street food in Mexico and Americans are obsessed with tacos. A taco is simply a tortilla folded in half and filled with meats, cheese, vegetables, fish, etc. I like my tacos simple with meat, cheese and cilantro kissed with a bit of fresh lime juice.
I used Flank Steak for this recipe because I was looking for a leaner piece of meat. You can also use Skirt Steak which is also used in making a lot of fajita recipes. We grill it on a high heat to sear and caramelized it on the outside while the inside stays slightly pink.
We also use Cotija cheese, which is a hard cows milk cheese from Mexico that is also called Mexican crumbling cheese.Print
- Flank steak
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper – quarter (with seeds if you like it extra hot)
- The juice and zest of one lime
- 1 block of cotija cheese (Mexican crumbling cheese)
- 1 package small corn tortillas
- Handful of cilantro (rough diced)
- Mix onion, jalapeno pepper, dry spices, lime juice and zest.
- Rub mixture over both sides of the steak, place it in a zip-top bag and refrigerate for 4-6 hours (you can even let it sit over night).
- Grill steak on medium-high heat (you can do this on your stove top too) until the outside starts to caramelize.
- Remove from heat, cover with foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- While the steak is resting crumble cotija cheese, slice another lime and even some onion (I don’t like raw onion but lots of folks do) and dice the cilantro.
- Warm corn tortillas on the stove top (I use a skillet and heat 2-3 at a time).
- Slice the steak away from the grain into thin strips
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes