Mexican Street Tacos
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 tacos 1x
- Flank steak
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper – quarter (with seeds if you like it extra hot)
- The juice and zest of one lime
- 1 block of cotija cheese (Mexican crumbling cheese)
- 1 package small corn tortillas
- Handful of cilantro (rough diced)
- Mix onion, jalapeno pepper, dry spices, lime juice and zest.
- Rub mixture over both sides of the steak, place it in a zip-top bag and refrigerate for 4-6 hours (you can even let it sit over night).
- Grill steak on medium-high heat (you can do this on your stove top too) until the outside starts to caramelize.
- Remove from heat, cover with foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- While the steak is resting crumble cotija cheese, slice another lime and even some onion (I don’t like raw onion but lots of folks do) and dice the cilantro.
- Warm corn tortillas on the stove top (I use a skillet and heat 2-3 at a time).
- Slice the steak away from the grain into thin strips