Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies are filled with a creamy and delicious cinnamon cream cheese buttercream frosting.
For the cookies
- 3/4 cup butter – softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (substitution: light brown sugar)
- 2–1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 TBS sugar for dusting
For the Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese – softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter – softened at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add the brown sugar, butter, molasses, and egg to a dish and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and allspice.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a melon baller sized scoop, scoop cookies on the parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until they just start to turn golden brown. Do not overcook the cookie; you want them a little bit chewy.
- Let cookies cool completely before adding the filling.
For the Filling
- Mix together all of the ingredients with a whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Place 1 TBS on filling on one cookie and top it with another cookie.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Holiday cookies, Christmas cookies, Gingerbread cookies