This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Remember that old song – Hand Jive? I don’t know why but I always think of hand pies when I hear that song. Hand jive, hand jive, hand jive, doin’ that crazy hand jive – or as I prefer, Hand Pies, hand pies, doin’ that crazy hand pie. OK, I’m really not that old but this song is stuck in my head now.
Regardless of the song or not, I love sweet or savory hand pies. When we lived in the midwest, there was a fast food taco place that sold an apple pie topped with cheddar cheese and it was an all time after school favorite treat. So I decided I could create similar sweet and savory flavors by adding cheese the pie filling.
And I was right! Cheddar cheese and apples are a match made in heaven. And although my family turned up their noses at the description, it took just one bite to convince they they are delicious and they gobbled them down.
Apple Hand Pies with Cheddar Cheese
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
Little hand pies stuffed with sliced apples and cheddar cheese.
- 1 box (two envelopes) of refrigerator pie crust
- 2 apples, cored and peeled
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 TBS cinnamon (one to sue for the filling; the other for the topping)
- 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 TBS granulated suger (for topping)
- 3 TBS egg whites
- Preheat oven according to pie crust instructions.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator and let side on counter top.
- Place peeled and sliced apples into a stove top pan and turn on medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon; cook for 10 minutes, stirring carefully.
- Remove apple mixture from stove top and let cool for a few minutes.
- Unwrap 1 envelop of pie crust and with a large inverted glass or a large round cookie cutter, cut four large circles.
- Please a spoon full of the apple mixture in the middle of each circle and top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Fold the pie crust in half and press the sides together with your finger.
- With a small fork, seal the sides of the pie crust.
- Repeat the above filling and sealing steps with the second envelop of pie crust.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining cinnamon with the granulated sugar.
- Brush each pie with egg white and top with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Make two small slices in the top of each pie for the steam to escape.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Leave a Reply