Sweet and tart sugar cranberries are the perfect little snack, a cocktail garnish and even the filling for your favorite holiday bread.
Move over pumpkin!
I am officially calling November and December cranberry and pomegranate months. Each year, I make a batch of Sugar Cranberries, partly because they are festive and partly because I love to use them in creative ways.
How I use sugar cranberries
- My favorite way to use sugar cranberries is as garnishes for cocktails and mocktails. I skewer them on festive cocktail sticks and even just drop them into a drink to add a little sweetness and zing.
- These little sugar beauties make a stunning cake or cupcake decoration.
- Top a glazed cranberry bread with these little gems and they will really make it shine.
- Use them as a layer in a yogurt parfait with Greek yogurt, honey, and granola.
- You can top pancakes with them.
- They make an amazing garnish for your holiday Turkey. Just add some rosemary and sprinkle these on the serving plate and you have a gorgeous dinner platter.
- And of course, you can just eat them like candy!
Krazy kitchen mom bonus!
I’m giving you a bonus recipe today! You can also make Sugar Rosemary sprigs to use the same way you use these. Simply substitute fresh rosemary sprigs for the cranberries! You can see how I used Sugar Rosemary in my Cranberry Margaritas.
Tart and sweet sugar cranberries.
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar – separated by 1/2 cup for simple syrup and 1 cup for dusting
- 1/2 cup water
- In a saucepan, heat water and 1/2 cup sugar until the sugar is dissolved; making a simple syrup.
- Remove from heat and add cranberries.
- Let sit them sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer liquid and cranberries into a jar or a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
For sugar dusting preparation:
- Strain cranberries and place them on a wire rack over a sheet pan for 2 hours to dry.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to a bowl.
- Add cranberries and coat liberally with sugar.
- Return cranberries to a wire rack or a layer of parchment paper until dry.
- Category: dessert/garnish