Spinach Pie, also known as Spanakopita, is a savory Greek dish found in most Greek restaurants. I use refrigerated pie crust and frozen spinach to make Easy Greek Spinach Pie.
- 2 boxes frozen spinach – thawed. Make sure to squeeze all the water out of it with a kitchen towel.
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 cup feta cheese – crumbled
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning
- Two pie crust doughs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place oil in stove top skillet, add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook 8-10 minutes on medium.
- Remove spinach mixture from heat and set aside to cool.
- While spinach and onions are cooling, roll out the pie crust dough
- Using a medium-sized circle cookie cutter or a large glass, cut the pie crust dough into circles.
- In a large bowl, add the spinach and onions, beaten egg, feta cheese and ricotta cheese.
- Place 1-2 TBS of the mixture on 1/2 side of the circle, fold the circle over and crimp to close.
- Brush with egg whites.
- Make two small slits on the top of each hand pie.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.