Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Homemade Enchilada Sauce, also known as Salsa Roja, is so easy you’ll never want to buy enchilada sauce again. And it’s ready in less than 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Easy Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/4 cup butter (1/4 stick)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth (substitution: chicken broth)
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can add more if you like it hot and spicy)
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- Melt butter in a stovetop pan on medium heat.
- Whisk the flour into the butter to make a roux.
- Cook the flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth and spices.
- Whisk in the tomato paste.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Keywords: taco, enchiladas, TexMex