Winter Salmon Salad is made with grilled salmon, baby spinach, apples, dried cranberries, toasted pecans all tossed in a cinnamon vinaigrette.
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 apple, diced (I used honey crisp)
- 4–5 heaping TBS dried cranberries
- 4–5 TBS heaping TBS toasted walnuts
- 1 pat butter
- 1 TBS maple syrup
- 1/4 cup red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (substitution: black pepper)
- 4–5 oz. of fresh baby spinach (substitution: arugula)
FOR THE SALMON
- 2 salmon steaks cut about the same size
- 1 TBS sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1TBS extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- In a small stove-top skillet, melt 1 pat of butter.
- Mix in maple syrup.
- Add pecans and toast on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the pecans are toasted, transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool.
- Dice the apple into small pieces and set aside.
- In a small dish, whisk together the vinegar, cinnamon, olive oil, and pepper. (I like to add all my salad dressing ingredients into a small mason jar and shake it until mixed.)
- In a large bowl, add baby spinach and apples.
- Toss dressing lightly with apples and spinach(I use a TBS at a time to make sure the salad does not have too much dressing as you want the dressing to be a light flavor.)
- Top with dried cranberries and pecans
For the Salmon
- Pat salmon dry on both sides with a paper towel; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder.
- Rub spice mix on both sides of the salmon.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on the stove top for 1-2 minutes; reduce heat to medium-high and add olive oil.
- Add salmon and let them sear, without moving them, until you see the cook line reach the middle of the fish.
- Turn the salmon and cook until finished.
Assemble the salad
- Place the tossed salad on a plate and top each with a salmon steak.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Fish, Salad
- Method: Easy Recipe
- Cuisine: American