We had a bit of a cool spell in South Florida this week so I pretended like it was really cold and made a big pot of vegetable beef soup.
It’s filled with fresh veggies, sweet and russet potatoes and big pieces of steak. I know, steak can be an expensive cut for a soup but my soup screams – “Go Big or Go Home”.
By now you know how much I love “soup anything” and this one lives up to its name with deep beef flavor. My little secret ingredient is a 14.5 ounce can of Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
So grab a big bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup and some crusty bread, curl up on the sofa, turn on the World Series Game, and settle in for the night. And of course, GO CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!
- 1 strip steaks – cubed small
- 1 large russet potato – diced small
- 1 large sweet potato – diced small
- 3 celery stalks – diced
- 3 carrots – peeled and diced
- 1/2 green bean – cut into small pieces
- 1 14.5 oz. can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1.5 boxes 32 oz. beef stock
- 1 sprig of fresh Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot; add steak and cook on medium until it starts to brown.
- Add all potatoes and cook for 4 minutes with steak.
- Add celery and carrots and cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add green beans, beef stock and canned tomatoes.
- Add spices, salt and pepper.
- Add Rosemary sprig.
- Bring soup to a boil, cover and reduced heat to simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes; remove cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes until potatoes are soft.