Sausage, Onions and Peppers is an easy weeknight dinner or a casual weekend dinner with friends. It’s also easy to make-ahead and keeps warm in the oven.
- 10 Italian sausages (I use 5 mild and 5 hot)
- 4 bell peppers – cored and sliced
- 2 onions – sliced
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Boil sausages for 15-20 minutes in a large stockpot.
- Remove from boiling pot and set aside until ready to cook.
- Add canola oil to a large skillet or cast iron pan.
- Cook sausages in the oil until they are browned; remove and set aside.
- Add butter to the skillet.
- Add peppers and onions.
- Cook peppers and onions on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the peppers and onions are cooked, push them to one side of the skillet.
- Add the tomato paste and wine and slowly stir it into the pepper.
- Add the seasonings and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve as is or on a large hoagie roll.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes