Tequila Chicken Fajitas taste just like your favorite restaurant version with a twist. The twist is in the tequila marinade that makes the chicken extra zesty.
For the Marinade
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
For the Fajitas
- Marinated chicken strips
- 1 red bell pepper – sliced
- 1 green bell pepper – sliced
- 1 large onion – sliced
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package of dry fajita mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 softshell tortillas
- Lime slices for garnish
- Sour cream
- Place the chicken strips into a large zip-top bag.
- In a glass, mix tequila, triple sec, lime zest and lime juice.
- Pour tequila mixture over chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet at medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides. You may need to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Add the dry fajita seasonings and the water.
- Stir until all incorporated.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover it and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortilla shells, lime wedges, sour cream salsa, and guacamole.
Nutrition Values for Fajitas only – no toppings.
- Category: Poultry
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: Taco Tuesday, Tex Mex