This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Tequila Chicken Fajitas taste just like your favorite restaurant version with a twist. The twist is in the tequila marinade that makes the chicken extra zesty.
Whenever I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant I always get the Chicken Fajitas. I like them so much, I don’t even look at the menu…I just order the chicken fajitas. So I decided to start making them at home.
My recipe was pretty easy, I just used a packaged fajita seasoning, cooked the chicken, peppers, and onions and they turned out pretty good, but not as good as I wanted.
So I started experimenting and came up with an amazing marinade that really gave them the zinging flavor I was looking for.
tequila chicken fajitas marinade ingredients
Three simple ingredients make this delicious marinade.
- Blanco (white) Tequila
- Triple sec (or other orange-flavored liqueur)
- Lime juice and lime zest
What’s the difference between a taco and a fajita?
I’ve actually heard people ask this question so I thought I’d just put it out there.
A taco can be in a crispy tortilla shell or in a soft tortilla shell. It’s usually filled with seasoned meat or protein and topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions and served with salsa and chips.
Fajitas are served with warm soft tortilla shells and are seasoned meat with grilled onions and pepper.
They are served with salsa, cream cheese, and guacamole on the side. Sometimes they are also served with a small amount of cheese.
While I like to eat my fajitas alone, with no sides, they are traditionally served with Spanish rice and refried beans.
You can also serve them with a side of chips and salsa. If you really want to mix it up, you can serve them with Black Bean Soup.
Tequila Chicken Fajitas
For the Marinade
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup triple sec
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- 3 chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
For the Fajitas
- Marinated chicken strips
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced
- 1 green bell pepper - sliced
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package of dry fajita mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 softshell tortillas
- Lime slices for garnish
- Sour cream
- Place the chicken strips into a large zip-top bag.
- In a glass, mix tequila, triple sec, lime zest and lime juice.
- Pour tequila mixture over chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet at medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides. You may need to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Add the dry fajita seasonings and the water.
- Stir until all incorporated.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, cover it and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortilla shells, lime wedges, sour cream salsa, and guacamole.
Leave a Reply