What do you make when you have a couple of sweet potatoes and some left over deli pastrami on hand? Sweet Potato Pastrami Deli Sandwiches of course!
When I was growing up, the only time we had sweet potatoes was at Thanksgiving and my Mom smothered them in brown sugar and butter because that’s the only way she could get any of us to eat them. When my kids were small, we did the same thing – followed the tradition of sweet potatoes only on holidays.
But now we eat them several times a week. They bring just the right amount of sweet to any dish – even without the brown sugar.
I made these fun and tasty deli sandwiches by roasting the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. They are a great low carb/low calorie option to a heavy deli sandwich.
A low carb option to a classic deli sandwich.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced about 1–2 inches thick
- 10–12 slices of deli pastrami
- 4 slices deli Swiss cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Use the larger round slices from the middle of the sweet potato, brush one side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato rounds on to a parchment lined cookie sheet, oil side up.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool potatoes for about 10 minutes.
- Layer about 3-4 slides of pastrami and 1 slice of cheese on one potato and top with a second one.
- Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese melts.