Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Low carb Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is full of chicken, peas, and fresh herbs all topped with nutty Gruyere cheese than baked to perfection.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Low carb
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 3/4 cup of frozen peas – thawed
- 5 ounces of grated gruyere cheese
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (substitution: 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3 fresh sage leaves (substitution: 1 teaspoon dried sage)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh sage and thyme for garnish (optional)
To roast the squash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut squash in half length-wise.
- Remove seeds and loose strings with a spoon and discard.
- Rub insides of both halves with olive oil and add salt and pepper.
- Place both halves face down in a baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Once the squash is baked, remove it from the oven and carefully flip the sides so they are face up.
- Let them cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a fork to pull the stringy flesh away from the skin fulffing it as you go.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
To make the chicken and pea – do this while the squash is baking
- Cut the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Add 1 TBS olive oil to a stove-top skillet on medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken for 10 minutes, stirring so all of the sides are browned.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and flour and whisk to make a rouxe.
- Slowly wisk in the chicken stock.
- Add 2 TBS of the grated cheese into the stock and continue to whisk for about 3 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 large forks full of squash, from each squash side, and combine it into the chicken and pea sauce.
To assemble the squash for second bake
After baking, cool for 10 minutes so you do not burn yourself pulling the cooked squash from the sides of the shell.
- Fill each of the squash halves equally with the chicken and pea sauce.
- Divide the remaining cheese into to equal parts and top each squash half with the cheese.
- Return the squash to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Keywords: low-carb, low-carb recipe, healthy recipe, winter squash