Summer is peak Stone Fruit Season. It’s the time of year for the best cherries, plums, apricots, nectarines – all those juicy goodies. And I just could not pass up the amazing wall of plums at my local market yesterday, so I quickly grabbed a bunch without even thinking I would actually cook something with them before I ate them all on the way home.
I started out thinking about a dessert to go with our steak dinner and since fruit is a great dessert after a hearty meal the plan became easy – baked plums with a crumble.
I actually call the recipe 4 x 2 Plums because I got two uses out of four plums!
Round 1 of 4 x 2 Plums was a baked plum with crumble topping.
Round 2 of 4 x 2 Plums was a plum sauce with crumble topping – great for breakfast the next morning.
4 X 2 Plums
Two recipes with Four Plums
- 4 Ripe plums
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS room temperature butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crushed cookies (I had biscotti so that’s what I used)
- 1 TBS sugar
- DIRECTIONS for Round 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Half and core the plums.
- Place them in a small baking dish and drizzle tops with the honey.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until they start to soften.
- Place nuts and sugar in a small stove top skillet and cook until they start to brown.
- Watch them carefully as the sugar and nuts will burn easily.
- Remove plums from the oven and set aside.
- Mix sugar-nut mix with crushed cookies and butter.
- Top each plum with the crunchy mixture and place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until the topping starts to brown.
- DIRECTIONS for Round 2
- Round two is because I have leftovers of round 1.
- Remove the crunchy mixture from the plums and place in a zip-top bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Peel and dice the plums and place them is an air-tight container overnight.
- In the morning, cook the peeled and diced plums on medium heat on the stove top for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Remove from heat and then top with the crunchy mixture.
- You can serve this as a fruit sauce with breakfast or top of plain Greek yogurt. Enjoy!