This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
A traditional chickpea hummus made with tahini with the creamy and light flavor of avocado served with pita toast and whole grain chips.
Recently I can’t get get enough avocado in my life. It used to be the only time I ate avocado was if I was having guacamole, but now I seem to eat avocado several times a week – on toast, with eggs and even sliced with salt and pepper. I was so excited about my Spicy Avocado Hummus because it’s another way to eat my new found favorite food.
Here are a couple of tips to make sure you select and buy the perfect avocado – believe me, I wish I had known this a long time ago!
- Start with the color – the avocado should be a bright green color.
- Next, gently squeeze the avocado, it should yield lightly, but not be mushy.
- Check out the stem – gently press the stem with you finger and if it comes off easily and is bright green underneath, then buy it.
It’s that easy – just three step to selecting and buying the perfect avocado.
Now that you’ve selected and bought the perfect avocado you must try this hummus. It has all the ingredients of a traditional hummus but with a creamy, light avocado flavor that we are delighted with. The spice comes in by adding the red pepper flakes and since we like spicy food, we are liberal with it. To cut back, simply omit the red pepper or add just a little.
If you love this recipes, you will also love Cilantro Jalapeño HummusPrint
An easy recipe that adds a new twist to a classic hummus.
- 1 13 oz. can of chickpea (garbanzo beans) – drained and rinsed
- 2 large avocados
- 3 teaspoons tahini
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a food processor or blender, pulse mix chickpeas, salt, pepper, lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Peel avocado and put the 4 halves into the blender and mix until smooth and creamy. (You may need to drizzle in additional olive oil if it is not wet or smooth enough.)
- Stir in red papper flakes.
- Serve immediately or chill.
You can make this less or more spicy by omitting or adding more red pepper flakes.