Roasted Turkey Enchiladas Verde is made with leftover turkey, cheese and a slow roasted Verde (green) sauce.
I am mildly obsessed with the Tex Mex cuisine and almost anything rolled in a tortilla. Enchiladas are a quick and easy dinner that can be on the table in minutes. They are also perfect for casual company because you make them ahead of time and then just warm them in the oven when it’s time for dinner.
The secret to my Roast Turkey Enchiladas Verde is the Verde or green sauce which is made from a few simple ingredients:
- Fresh tomatillos
- Clove of garlic
- Jalapeno peppers
That’s it – just roast them to release the deep flavors, place it all in a blender with some water and you have an amazing, thick, spicy (if you leave the seeds in the jalapenos) sauce to cook the turkey enchiladas in.
Hint – if you don’t want too much spice, remove the seeds and the ribs of the jalapenos before roasting them. And – make sure you wear disposable gloves and wash your hand really well. There’s nothing worse than the sting from pepper seeds. Here are the disposable gloves I buy.
Roasted Turkey Enchiladas Verde
Roasted Turkey Enchiladas Verde is the perfect leftover meal made with leftover turkey, cheesy and a slow roasted Verde (green) sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
For the Verde (green) Sauce:
- 8-10 tomatillos (papery skins removed and washed)
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 jalapenos – sliced in half (seed and rib removal is optional depending upon the amount of spice you want)
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- About 2 cups of water
For the Enchiladas:
- 4 large soft tortilla shells
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 bag or 8 ounces shredded cheddar
- Cilantro, tomatoes, and avocado for garnish.
To make the Verde sauce:
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice tomatillos and jalapenos in half.
- Slice off the top of the garlic clove and drizzle it with olive oil.
- Please tomatillos, jalapenos, and garlic on to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place all vegetables in a blender.
- Add enough water to just cover the mixture.
- Blend until smooth.
For the Enchiladas:
- Turn the oven down to 350°
- Spray a small baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Lay out four tortillas; divide the chicken among the four tortillas.
- Top with cheese and roll into enchiladas.
- Spoon 4-5 TBS of the Verde sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place enchiladas seam-side down.
- Over with more Verde sauce and the remainder of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, tomatoes, and avocado.
You can freeze any leftover Verde sauce to use on grilled chicken, fish or steak.