Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples fill your home with the wonderful flavors of fall – cinnamon and pumpkin spice. Simple ingredients with deep roasted flavors.
Having lived in South Florida for over 12 years now, we don’t measure fall by cooling temperatures or falling leaves. But rather, we measure it by the flavors of seasonal ingredients. We are transplants from over 22 years in central Pennsylvania so we are no strangers to the changing season. Fall is always a special time that brings families together for the start of the holiday season. And the perfect season to eat hearty winter Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples. It’s the perfect marriage of savory, sweet and a little bit tangy.
Roasted butternut squash and apples are comfort food!
Nothing makes your home more comforting than the aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, which are two of the ingredients I use in this dish. Along with a little extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper, it’s deep roasted flavors are like a big hug from a dear friend. Sage is one of my favorite fall herbs because its strong earthy flavor stands up to pork, chicken, turkey, and duck…all perfect roasting meats. I think sage is an under-used herb. I also like to use it in soups and stews to give a more earthy flavor.
Krazy kitchen mom tip
I might be a little picky with this tip but I’m sharing it because I promise your butternut squash will turn out perfectly if you follow it.
- When you spread your squash and apples out on the cookie sheet to roast, take a few extra minutes and make sure none of them are touching. You want to get a nice roast with some caramelization on as much of the squash as possible. If they are touching you won’t get all that browned goodness.
if you like this recipe, you’ll also like these
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash – stuffed with chicken, peas and nutty gruyere cheese – the best!
- Blueberry Lemon Muffin Tops – just the tops
- Za’atar Grill Chicken and Pasta – if you’ve never tried Za’atar seasoning, you are really missing out
- Cranberry Margaritas – the perfect holiday cocktail
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples
The warm flavors of fall in one dish – butternut squash, apples, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 butternut squash – peeled and cut into cubes.
- 3 large apples – sliced with skin on
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1.5 TBS pumpkin pie spice
- 12/ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh sage for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Toss squash, apples, oil and spices together.
- Bake on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 35-45 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh sage.