This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Creamy, nutty, crunchy, and sweet Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed Medjool Dates make a fantastic party appetizer or an afternoon snack for your family.
My recipe for Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Goat Cheese is one of our family’s favorite holiday appetizers and I am missing these delicious little treats now that the holidays are over.
I’m hosting a post-holiday brunch with a couple of girlfriends that I wasn’t able to connect with during the hectic season. I added the Bacon Wrapped Dates to the menu list but I really wanted to do something different with the dates.
I have not idea how I came up with the idea of stuffing them with peanut butter and jelly but I am so happy I did!
what are Medjool dates
Medjool dates are actually classified as fresh fruit just like any other dried fruit. They have a sweet caramel-like taste. They are larger than regular dates. Medjool dates have a chewy outside texture but are nice and creamy on the inside. They are the perfect vehicle to stuff with cheese, like my recipe for Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Goat Cheese. They are also amazingly delicious in savory dishes like my recipe for Za’atar Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice. I am now using Medjool Dates in any savory dish where I would usually use raisins.
storing Medjool dates
You can store these dates on the countertop or in the pantry for 45-50 days as long as they are in an airtight container. But if you refrigerate them in an airtight container, they will last 5-6 months. Medjool dates are now a regular item in my refrigerator.
buying Medjool dates
I thought you could buy Medjool dates just about anywhere because I always see them at my local grocery store in Florida. However, I was at another local store and had dates on my list and I was surprised to learn that they only carry them during the November/December holiday season. That’s such a shame! Moral of the story…if you cannot find them, don’t give up, just check another market; I’m sure you’ll be able to find them.
krazy kitchen mom tips
- I like to prep all of my dates before I am ready to stuff them. That means, cutting them in half length-wise and removing and discarding the pits and any of the stringy inside that is loose.
- I use the back of a small spoon to add the peanut butter and then the jelly.
- You can make these a day or two ahead of time. Just make sure you cover them with plastic wrap and keep them refrigerated.
- In case you wondered, I used regular creamy peanut butter and a high-end brand of blueberry champagne jelly.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Stuffed Medjool Dates
- 10-12 Medjool dates
- 10 teaspoons creamy peanut butter
- 10 teaspoons of jelly or jam I used blueberry jelly
- 2 TBS salted peanuts - crushed
- Slice dates in half.
- Remove pits and discard them.
- Stuff with 1 teaspoon peanut butter.
- Top with 1 teaspoon jam.
- Garnish with crushed salted peanuts.