Pan Roasted Chicken with Gnocchi is covered in a light wine butter sauce. A little fresh spinach and peas are added at the end for an upscale comfort food dish.
This recipe is adapted from my colleague, Dan’s Pan Roasted Chicken with Gnocchi and Spinach. Dan used Sauvignon Blanc for the base of his wine-butter sauce, while I used Pinot Grigio. The reason I substituted Pinot Grigio is that’s what I had on hand and it’s also my favorite white wine. Dan also seasoned his chicken breasts with Herbs de Provance, which I did too, but I added some fresh thyme and rosemary which are two of my favorite fresh herbs to use in chicken dishes. I also added peas to my version because it’s spring and peas definitely remind me of spring.
Dan sent me a photo of his finished dish and it looked amazing but I had no idea how much I was going to love this dish. I took one bite of this dish, making sure I had a little bit of everything on my fork, and I was blown away by the taste. The butter-wine sauce is so creamy and the gnocchi is soft and pillowy. The spice is perfect on the chicken and I love adding spinach and peas because we all need more greens in our life.
Dan has something going here – I might have to “borrow” a few more of his recipes, especially if they taste as good as this one. Seriously, full disclosure here because Dan is a lawyer (wink)…he gave me permission to share this recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Thanks Dan!
If you like this recipe, you’ll also like:
Pan Roasted Chicken with Gnocchi is covered in a light wine butter sauce. A little fresh spinach is added at the end for a full meal in one pan.
- 2–4 chicken breasts
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS Herbs de Provance
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 TBS of fresh rosemary – chopped (optional)
- 1 TBS of fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 12-ounce package gnocchi – cooked per the package instructions
- 1/2 bag (1 cup) of frozen peas – thawed
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Fresh parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil in a large skillet
- Season the chicken breast with Herbs de Provance and salt and pepper.
- Cook each chicken breast for 5 minutes on medium high heat for five minutes. The chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest on a plate.
- Add the flour and butter to the pan and stir together until butter is melted.
- Add the wine and stir to make a roux.
- Add the chicken stock and turn the heat to low, stirring so the sauce thickens. Add additional chicken broth if the sauce is too thick or if you want more sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the pan.
- Add the peas.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook just until it wilts.
- Add gnocchi at the end and just coat it with the sauce.
- Add the fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: American