It’s been years since I have had a blood orange. Last week while browsing through my local market, which is a favorite pastime of mine, I came across some lovely little blood oranges and had to have them.
As soon as I cut one open and tasted the sweet juicy flavor, it took me back to childhood with orange juice dripping down my arm and chin. OK, it wasn’t a pretty sight, but it was certainly delicious and I just couldn’t resist.
For this recipe, I whipped some ricotta cheese with honey and vanilla and toasted some delicious fresh ciabatta bread that I bought at the bakery. Then it was an easy assembly of bread, ricotta cheese spread, sliced navel and blood oranges topped with a little more ricotta and drizzled in honey. When my husband, Vince, took a bite he managed to get out one word with his mouth full – “heavenly”.
Orange and Whipped Ricotta Breakfast Toast
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Breakfast/Brunch
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon of the zest from the navel orange for garnish
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (don’t skimp on ricotta, buy a good brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons honey (two for the whipped ricotta mixture and two for the drizzle)
- 2 slices of ciabatta bread
- In a small bowl, add ricotta, honey and vanilla; whip with a whisk until it’s fluffy.
- Toast ciabatta bread.
- Spread a layer of the whipped ricotta on each slice of toast and top it with sliced oranges.
- Add a dollop of whipped ricotta to the top of the center orange and top with the orange zest.
- Drizzle honey over the top of the entire piece of toast.