This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
New Year’s Cake Ideas – Using one boxed cake mix, you can make three different New Year’s mini cakes and desserts.
I’m excited to share my New Year’s Cake Ideas. I used just one store-bought cake mix and I made a wonderful display of mini cake desserts for a New Year’s Eve celebration.
new year’s cake ideas
I made one – YES – just one cake and made all of these cake desserts.
- Mini triple-layer naked cakes – this recipe makes 6 mini-cakes
- Mini cake parfaits – this recipe makes 4 mini parfaits
- Mini cake truffles – this recipe makes 10 truffles
mini triple-layer naked cakes
These cakes are three layers of cake with two layers of raspberry jam, coconut, and buttercream. I cut circles from the sheet-pan cake I made and used the circles to build mini layer cakes.
I decided to make these as naked cakes which means I just added a very thin layer of buttercream around the side instead of frosting them fully. I decorated them with coconut and plenty of festive decorations.
mini cake parfaits
This is where it started to get fun. After I made 6 of the mini layered cakes, I used a smaller circle biscuit cutter and cut smaller circles out of the same sheet-pan cake. Stay with me here, because I am still working from the one cake that I made from a box mix. This time I layered mini dessert glasses with cake, buttercream, coconut, and jam. And I used the same decorations as I did on the mini cakes.
mini cake truffles
After making both the mini cakes and the mini parfaits, I still had cake left. And because no one should throw away a delicious cake, I decided to make little cake truffles.
- I crumbled up the rest of the cake pieces.
- Added the rest of the buttercream frosting.
- Formed the cake into little balls.
- Dipped them into melted white chocolate.
- Decorated them with white chocolate curls and crushed peppermint candy canes.
You may be wondering how I really got that much cake from one boxed cake mix. It was really pretty easy. I followed the directions on the box to make the cake, but I baked it on a large cookie sheet. I also used round biscuit cutters to cut the circles out of the cake.
New Year’s cake ideas
Whether you decided to make all three types of cake desserts or just one, make sure you try this. Make a cake in a sheet-pan and be creative.
New Year’s Cake Ideas
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 20 mini cake desserts 1x
New Year’s Cake Ideas – Using one boxed cakes mix, you can make three different New Year’s mini cakes and desserts.
For the cake:
- 1 white cake box mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1–1/4 cup of water
For the buttercream
- 4– ounces of cream cheese – at room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 cup butter) at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2–1/2 cups confecitoners sugar
For the filling:
- 1/2 jar raspberry jam (you can use any flavor jam you’d like)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
For the truffle coating:
- 1/2 bag of white chocolate chips
For the decorations:
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 candy canes – crushed
- Chocolate swirls – I bought these at the craft store in the cake decorating section.
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix according to box instructions.
- Pour batter into a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes – what it carefully as all ovens are different.
- Cool cake before cutting.
For the mini layered cakes:
- Use a biscuit cutter and cut 18 circles out of the sheetpan cake.
- Place 1 layer of cake onto a plate.
- Pipe a ring of buttercream on the top outter edge of the cake to build a barrier to hold the jam.
- Spoon 1-2 TBS of jam in the middle of the butter cream.
- Add a pinch of coconut on top of the jam.
- Add the next layer of cake and repeat steps 3-5.
- Add another lay of cake (this will be the top layer).
- Using a mini offset statula or butter knife smooth the edges of the entire cake spreading around any leaking buttercream.
- Pipe small flowers around the top edge of the top layer of cake and then sprinkle it with coconut.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
For the mini parfaits:
- Use a very small buscuit cutter or a knife to cut small circles of cake.
- Place one piece of cake in each parfait glass.
- Top with a circle of buttercream around the outter edge of the cake piece.
- Top with jam and coconut.
- Repeat until the parfait glass is full.
- Pipe 1 flower on the top piece of cake.
- Decorate with coconut and sprinkles.
For the cake balls:
- Take the remaining piece of cake and crumble them in a bowl.
- Add the remaining buttercream and combine it together with your hands.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Place them in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips.
- Dip each ball into the chocolate.
- Sprinkel with candy cane and chocolate swirls.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: NYE celebration, NYE cakes, mini cakes, mini desserts
Leave a Reply