Actually these were named Maid Wrongs by my Mom because they are her version of the tradition Maid Rite sandwich. I took Mom’s recipe and changed it again so now I guess you can call them Maid Wrong Wrong.
I added slowly caramelized onions instead of using raw. I also used yummy sweet Hawaiian Rolls. I brushed the tops of the buns with butter and sprinkled them with sea salt. I bake them uncovered for a bit more texture to the bun.
If this is Maid Wrong, I don’t want to be Maid Rite.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS butter, melted
- 12 slices of yellow American cheese
- 1 package of Hawaiian Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stove top skillet; add olive oil and onions.
- Turn onion up to high for 2-3 minutes; reduce to medium low and cook them slowly. This will take about 15 minutes.
- When onions are caramelized, set them aside.
- Add ground beef to the pan you used to cook the onions and cook until browned.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Keep Hawaiian Rolls together and slice the entire loaf through the middle at one time.
- Place the loaf in a baking dish.
- Place a layer of cheese on the bottom of loaf; pour ground beef over cheese, top with the onions and then another layer of cheese.
- Place the top of the loaf on the sandwich.
- Brush the top of the loaf with butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.