Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas is a great recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They’re made with creamy refried beans, fluffy scrambled eggs with melted cheese, jalapenos, diced tomatoes and onions, sour cream, and guacamole.
Huevos Rancheros or Breakfast Tostadas are a traditional Mexican dish made with eggs, tostadas or tortilla shells, salsa, cheese, and guacamole. I make mine with the traditional ingredients but I like to use fresh diced tomatoes instead of salsa.
- Crispy corn tostadas – you can find these with the other tortilla shells at most grocery stores.
- Refried beans – I used a 16-ounce can of refried beans in this recipe.
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese – you can also use cheddar cheese. But for this recipe, I like the way the Colby Jack melts. It also has a mild flavor that goes well with all of the other flavors in the tostadas.
- Diced Tomatoes – I use Roma tomatoes because they have a firm skin that has a nice bite to it.
- Diced Onion – I used a white onion, only because we don’t like red onions at our house, but you can certainly use them in this recipe.
- Scrambled eggs – For the scrambled eggs, I added bell pepper, diced tomatoes, a diced jalapeno, and half-n-half.
- Toppings – I topped my tostadas with a drizzle of sour cream, store-bought guacamole, and fresh chopped cilantro.
How to make huevos ranchero breakfast tostadas
Huevos Rancheros may sound like a difficult Mexican dish to make, but it’s really very easy.
- Spread refried beans on to crunchy corn tostadas.
- Top the refried beans with scrambled eggs.
- Top the scrambled eggs with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Top with fresh diced tomatoes, chopped onions, sliced jalapenos, chopped cilantro, and drizzle with sour cream
krazy kitchen mom tips
- To soften the refried beans, spoon the beans into a microwave dish, cover the dish with a paper towel and microwave for 1 minute. Carefully remove the dish and fluff the refried beans with a fork. If they are still very stiff, add 1 teaspoon of water and microwave again for 10 seconds.
- I love Tex Mex fast food pintos and cheese. And I’ve come up with my own recipe using leftover refried beans. Place the refried beans on a microwave plate, top them with a spoon of Picante sauce and shredded cheddar. Microwave 20-30 seconds…so good!
- Did you know that you can freeze store-bought guacamole? It’s true…it freezes very well. I buy a 4-pack or 6-pack of individual-sized guacamole that is sold in the refrigerator section of the produce department at my local grocery store. I store them in the freezer and thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and they are ready to use.
Here are some of my other popular recipes that are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- Loaded Savory Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Lemon Syrup
- Coffee Cake Muffins
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza
- Melon Ball Prosciutto Salad
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Tostadas is a great recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They’re made with creamy refried beans, fluffy scrambled eggs with melted cheese and toppings.
- 6 hard shell corn tostadas
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans
- 6-ounces shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 tomatoe – diced
- 1/4 onion – diced
- 1 jalapeno – sliced
- 6 eggs
- 4 TBS half-n-half
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoe
- 2 TBS diced jalapeno
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS sour cream mixed with a splash of milk or half-n-half to make it easy to drizzle
- Store-bought guacamole
- 2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
TO MAKE THE EGGS
- Crack the eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the half-n-half to the eggs and whisk until they are fully combined.
- Heat the olive oil in a stove-top no-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and jalapeno to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the eggs and let them sit for a minute, just until they start to set.
- Use a spatula to move the eggs around, folding them as you go.
- Cook until the eggs are set and remove them from the hot skillet.
- Heat the oven to 350°
- Lay six tostada shells on a cookie sheet.
- Microwave the refried beans in a microwave dish for 1 minute to soften them.
- Divided the beans euqally among the tostada shells and spread them over the entire top of the shells.
- Divide the scrambled eggs among the tostadas and spoon them on the refried beans.
- Top each tostada with 1 ounce of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and top with diced tomatoes, diced onions, chopped cilantro, and guacamole.
- Drizzle each tostada with sour cream.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Easy Recipe
- Cuisine: Tex Mex