This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Sweet, tart and tangy Homemade Rhubarb Chutney is made from fresh or frozen rhubarb, dried fruit, savory spices, sugar, and vinegar.
Homemade Rhubarb Chutney is really easy to make. And by easy, I mean but all the ingredients in a pot, turn it on, cook it for 15 minutes, stir it and cook it for another 10 minutes.
That’s it – so very easy!
What is chutney?
Chutney is a sweet, tangy, and spicy sauce that is used as a condiment in savory dishes. Chutney itself is the generic team for the condiment.
It is made from fresh and dried fruits with spices, sugar, and vinegar.
Chutney can be served either hot or cold, but my experience is that it’s usually served cold or at room temperature.
Ingredients in homemade rhubarb chutney
- Rhubarb – You can use either fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb. I used frozen rhubarb for this recipe.
- Apple – Diced into small pieces.
- Sugar – I used white sugar.
- Onion – Diced into small pieces.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
- Mustard Seeds – Don’t have mustard seeds? No worries – just substitute the same amount of dried mustard powder or even prepared mustard.
- Red Pepper Flakes – This is where the spiciness is.
- Fresh Ginger – Another spicy ingredient.
how to eat rhubarb chutney
- We like to eat chutney with grilled pork, chicken, or fish.
- It works well paired with cheese on a fruit and cheese plate.
- It’s great as a condiment with scrambled eggs, quiche, and baked eggs like a frittata.
- Add it to grilled cheese.
- Use it as a barbeque sauce for grilling.
- Use it in a vinegarette dressing to boost the flavor.
storing rhubarb chutney
Make sure the chutney is completely cooled and at room temperature.
You can then store it in an air-tight jar or container for up to 1 month.
I haven’t tried freezing my chutneys so I cannot recommend it at this time.
more recipes you might like:
- Easy Sweet Balsamic Strawberries
- Honey and Thyme Grilled Apricots
- Honey Za’atar Baked Feta Cheese
- Fresh Mango Salsa
Homemade Rhubarb Chutney
- 1-1/2 cup rhubarb - frozen or fresh
- 1 apple - peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBS of sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh ginger
- Place all ingredients into a large stove-top pot.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Boil on high for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for another 10-15 minutes to thicken.
Leave a Reply