Grilled Halloumi Cheese with Blood Oranges is one of our favorite appetizers. Greek Halloumi cheese, grilled and topped with blood oranges.
- 8 ounces of Halloumi cheese
- 1 blood orange cut into 4 slices and then each slice halved
- 1 French baguette sliced into 2-inch slices
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 9–10 fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Brush both sides of the baguette with 1 TBS of the olive oil.
- Place the baguette slices on a cookie sheet and bake them until they just start to turn brown and crispy; usually about 10-15 minutes.
- When the baguette slices are brown and a little crispy, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Change oven temperature to broil.
- Cut Halloumi cheese into 8 even 1-ounce slices.
- Turn stovetop burner on medium-high.
- In an ovenproof stovetop skillet (I use a cast a cast iron skillet), add 1 TBS olive oil.
- Add the Halloumi slices and the fresh thyme leaves from 4-5 of the thyme sprigs.
- Grilled the cheese for 3-5 minutes each side until it turns to a light brown color.
- When the cheese is brown on both sides, top each piece of cheese with 1/2 orange slice.
- Place them in the oven on broil for another 3 minutes – watch them carefully so they don’t burn and if they are getting too brown remove them before the 3 minutes.
- Remove them from the skillet and place them on a serving plate.
- Serve them with the slices of baguette.
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey.
- Garnish with the remaining thyme sprigs.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grilled and Broiled
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: fried cheese