French Onion Soup is a beef and onion flavored broth filled with onions and topped with melty gruyere cheese and grilled bread.
- 5–6 onions – sliced thin (it will seem like a lot but they really cook down)
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 thick cut slices of French bread
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Place butter and olive oil in stove top pan or Dutch oven and heat until melted.
- Add onions and cook on medium for about 20 minutes.
- Add beef broth, Dijon mustard.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 1 hour.
- Toast the French bread slices under the broiler or in a toaster oven until toasted.
- When the soup is ready carefully taste it and add more salt if needed.
- Pour the soup into individual oven-proof bowls, top with one or more slices of the French bread and top the bread with a handful of the gruyere cheese.
- Please the bowls under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until cheese melts.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: comfort food, soup