This fail-proof easy homemade apple pie filling recipe will be your new favorite for apple pies, apple tarts, apple crumble – literally anything apple.
How do you know it’s fall? When the markets are full of bright crisp apples. That’s also when I know it’s time to make big jars of my easy homemade apple pie filling. I love a bright, crisp, tangy, but sweet apple. Which is why I alway choose Pink Lady apples. They are easy to find, just look for the apples with the pinkish skin. Pink Lady apples are sometimes called Cripps apples, named after the founder of these pink little beauties.
For my easy homemade apple pie filling, I use 4-6 apples depending upon size. In the fall, Pink Ladies tend to be larger and I can get away with 4 or 5. Other seasons, they appear a bit smaller so I go with 6 as a general rule. Once you’ve made your own apple pie filling, I promise it will be
Once you’ve made your own apple pie filling, I promise it will be one of your go-to-recipes. It’s easy (hence the name), quick and so delicious with just a few ingredients. You can use it for any pie, tart, crumble or even spoon it warm over ice cream or pancakes.
If you like this recipe, you will also like:
Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling
This fail-proof easy homemade apple pie filling recipe will be your new favorite for apple pies, apple tarts, apple crumble – literally anything apple. You can even spoon it over vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 pie
- 4-6 apples
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 2 TBS water
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel and slice apples.
- In a large stove-top pot, melt butter.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Cook on low until it is all combined.
- Add apples, stirring to coat all of the slices.
- Cook on low for about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a small cup, combine cornstarch and 2 TBS of water.
- Fold the mixture into apples stirring so that the juices start to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, let cool.
- You can keep this in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or use them immediately.