This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Easter Mini Layer Cakes are made from a box mix and a jar of jam. They are easy to make and pretty to look at. See my step-by-step instructions.
These cakes might be small but they sure are colorful and delicious. The layers are stacked and filled with raspberry jam between each layer.
Then they are topped with a delicious buttercream frosting.
HOW to make easter mini layer cakes
- Start by making a white cake batter from a white cake mix box.
- Next, separate the cake batter into three 1-cup measures.
- Color each of the 1-cup measures of cake batter – yellow, green, and pink
- Pour the batter into a 9×12 cake pan and bake each cake. You may have to do this in shifts if you only have one cake pan. Keep in mind, because these cakes are thin, they only take 12 minutes each to cook.
- Once the cakes are cooled, I left the green cake in the baking pan and topped it with raspberry jam.
- Then I placed the pink cake on top of the jam covered green cake and covered it with jam.
- Next, I placed the yellow cake on top.
- I used a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut the cake circles.
- To finish the cakes, I frosted them with a light blue colored buttercream frosting and sprinkle edible Easter candy decorations on top.
KRAZY KITCHEN MOM TIPS
- I like to use liquid gel food coloring. For this recipe, I used 6 drops for the pink cake, 12 drops for the yellow cake and 6 drops for the green cake.
- For the light blue frosting, I used 4 drops of pastel blue in my buttercream mixture.
- These cakes will stay fresh for 4 days in the refrigerator.
- To make a box cake taste like homemade, add 1 extra egg, or in this case, 1 extra egg white, and substitute milk instead of the water the box mix calls for.
- You can substitute buttercream frosting instead of jam between the layers if you’d like.
Easter Mini Layer Cakes
- 1 white cake box mix
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 12 TBS or 1/2 18-ounce jar of raspberry jam
- 4 ounces of butter room temperature
- 4 ounces of cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring - yellow green, pink, and blue
- Sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven for 350°
- Place parchment paper no a 9x12 baking sheet or baking dish.
- Beat cake mix, milk, oil, and eggs with a mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Separate the cake mixture equally between three bowls.
- Using food coloring, color one yellow, one green, and one pink.
- Cook each cake separately in the cake pan for 12 minutes.
- Cool each of the cakes.
- Lay the baked green cake on a cookie sheet.
- Spread with 6 TBS jam on the top of the cake.
- Lay the pink baked cake on top of the green cake with jam topping.
- Spread with 6 TBS jam.
- Lay the yellow cake on top.
- Place the layered sheet cake in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove the layered sheet cake from the refrigerator and cut into circles using a 2-inch wide biscuit cutter.
- Frost with buttercream frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
For the Buttercream frosting:
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix together room temperature butter and cream cheese.
- Add the confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
- Mix until the frosting is smooth and creamy.