Nothing says comfort and family like a big pot of stew!
Dutch Beef Stew
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. beef chuck roast – diced into large chunks
- 20 small potatoes – diced in large chunks
- 1 small bag carrots – diced in large chunks
- 10 pearl onions
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic gloves – diced small
- 2 TBS flour
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bottles of Belgian dark ale
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In zip top bag or large bowl, sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet; add diced onion and cook for 4 minutes, add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add beef, in small batches and brown on all sides.
- Remove browned beef cubes and set aside.
- Deglaze pan with wine; add beer, thyme, bay leaf, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beef to a large oven proof dish and pour sauce mixture over beef.
- Cover dish with foil but make two vents for steam on the top.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add the carrots, pearl onions and potatoes, re-cover with vented foil and cook for another hour.
- Check carrots and potatoes for doneness and if needed cook for another 1/2 hour.