Crustless Spinach Pie, also called Greek Spanakopita. It has all of the flavors and many of the same ingredients as Greek Spinach Pie, without the crust. It’s like a spinach pie casserole.
One of my favorite things to order at a Greek restaurant is Spinach Pie or Spanakopita. I love the flavors of the spinach mixed with the tart saltiness of the feta cheese.
I’ve made Spanakopita using filo dough sheets before, but I really wanted to create a recipe that had all of the same flavors without the work of the filo dough sheets. I also wanted something that I could bake and serve at any time. That’s when I came up with the idea of a Crustless Spinach Pie – Greek Spanakopita.
ingredients in Spinach pie – greek spanakopita
- Frozen Spinach – I use chopped frozen spinach.
- Ricotta Cheese – This may be a little unorthodox but I love the way the creamy ricotta melts in this recipe.
- Feta Cheese – I highly recommend that you buy a block of feta cheese rather than crumbled feta cheese. It’s easy to crumble yourself and the taste and texture are much better.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Dried Dill Weed
- Panko bread crumbs – this ingredient is optional for those on low-carb or Keto diets.
- Black pepper
I wouldn’t be a very good food blogger and recipe developer if I didn’t tell you how wonderful this recipe smells the minute you scoop out a piece. And if the smell is not enough, the taste is C.R.A.Z.Y good!
This is now my new potluck and party recipe for sure!
how to serve this dish
I served this as a vegetable side dish with grilled chicken. Since I had leftovers, I served it again the next morning as a side with our sunnyside up eggs. I really think you can serve it with just about any grill or baked meat or fish. You can even serve it as a meatless option – just add a slide of pita bread and Greek tzatziki sauce.
Crustless Spinach Pie, also called Greek Spanakopita. It has all of the flavors and many of the same ingredients as Greek Spinach Pie, without the crust. It’s the perfect low-carb or Keto spinach pie recipe.
- 10-ounce frozen spinach – thawd and all of the moisture drained and squeed out
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4-ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 large eggs – beaten
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (you can omit this ingredient if you are on a low-carb or Keto diet)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a small bowl mix together spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, dill, panko, and black pepper. (It’s best to use a fork for mixing.)
- Break the feta cheese into very small pieces and fold it into the spinach mixture.
- Transfer spinach to a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove cover and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until the edges begin to turn brown and pull away from the sides of the baking dish.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: Side Dish/Vegetable/Casserole
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Baked spinach, vegetable side dish, pot luck side dish