This recipe was given to me by Chef Jose, from the Marriott on Cicero close to the Midway Airport. Although I never met Chef Jose, he happily emailed it to me.
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 leeks (use only the white parts and if they are small, use 6 leeks)
- 6–8 medium potatoes (I use russet potatoes)
- 1 small onion – diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups light cream or milk (I use half n half)
- 4 slices of bacon – cooked and diced
- Peel potatoes and dice to a medium size.
- Bring a large pot to a boil and boil potatoes for 8 minutes, until they are tender but not falling apart.
- In a saucepan, add butter and oil and heat on medium; add bacon and cook until it’s golden brown and crispy.
- Add leeks and diced onions and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Add the cream (or milk) and cook for another 10 minutes on low.
- Please the mixture in a blender and blend, leaving is a little bit chunky. (I use my emersion blender and mix it right in the soup pot.)