What’s more exciting than Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes? These are made with store bought mixes and are covered in this unicorn buttercream
These Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes are made using a white cake mix, Jello Pudding, egg whites and butter to give a box mix a real homemade taste. The Jello pudding mix makes it a wonderfully moist cake.
I know it to be true! Cupcakes make people happy. And rainbow colored unicorn cupcakes will make everyone smile from ear-to-ear. Recently I’ve been using boxed cakes mixes and adding some extra ingredient that really give them a home-made taste. It’s easy – add an additional egg (or egg white) for this recipe, substitute melted butter for the oil and substitute milk or buttermilk for the water. That’s it! Now you have a box mix cake that tastes like scratch cake mix.
Now let’s talk about the “unicorn” in this cupcake. It’s a delicious, no-fail rainbow colored buttercream. Check out the recipe below to make the unicorn rainbow swirl.
If you like these cupcakes, leave me a message and also check out: Prosecco Cupcakes with Prosecco ButtercreamPrint
What’s more exciting than Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes? These are made with store bought mixes and are covered in this unicorn buttercream.
For the cupcakes
- White cake mix
- 1 small box instant Jello Coconut Cream Pudding mix
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
For the buttercream:
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 3 TBS milk (you may or may not need this depending upon the consistency and what you are using the frosting for)
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix all of the ingredients for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour cake mix into cupcake lined muffin tin.
- Bake as directed on the cake mix box.
For the buttercream:
- In a stand mixture or using a hand mixture, beat butter on medium for at least 5 minutes until it is light a fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Beat on medium medium high speed for 5 minutes.
- If you need a thinner frosting add a TBS of milk at a time.
To make rainbow unicorn colors:
- Place 1/3 of the prepared buttercream into three separate bowls.
- Add desired food colorings and mix.
- On a piece of plastic wrap, lay each color of the buttercream in a long row side-by-side touching.
- Roll up buttercream in plastic wrap.
- Cut off one end of the plastic wrap and place the entire tube into a tipped pastry bag.
- Frost as usual and the buttercream will come out in colorful swirls.