This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
What’s more exciting than Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes? These are made with store bought mixes and are covered in this unicorn buttercream
These Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes are made using a white cake mix, Jello Pudding, egg whites and butter to give a box mix a real homemade taste. The Jello pudding mix makes it a wonderfully moist cake.
I know it to be true! Cupcakes make people happy. And rainbow colored unicorn cupcakes will make everyone smile from ear-to-ear. Recently I’ve been using boxed cakes mixes and adding some extra ingredient that really give them a home-made taste. It’s easy – add an additional egg (or egg white) for this recipe, substitute melted butter for the oil and substitute milk or buttermilk for the water. That’s it! Now you have a box mix cake that tastes like scratch cake mix.
Now let’s talk about the “unicorn” in this cupcake. It’s a delicious, no-fail rainbow colored buttercream. Check out the recipe below to make the unicorn rainbow swirl.
If you like these cupcakes, leave me a message and also check out: Prosecco Cupcakes with Prosecco ButtercreamPrint
What’s more exciting than Coconut Cream Unicorn Cupcakes? These are made with store bought mixes and are covered in this unicorn buttercream.
For the cupcakes
- White cake mix
- 1 small box instant Jello Coconut Cream Pudding mix
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
For the buttercream:
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 3 TBS milk (you may or may not need this depending upon the consistency and what you are using the frosting for)
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix all of the ingredients for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour cake mix into cupcake lined muffin tin.
- Bake as directed on the cake mix box.
For the buttercream:
- In a stand mixture or using a hand mixture, beat butter on medium for at least 5 minutes until it is light a fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Beat on medium medium high speed for 5 minutes.
- If you need a thinner frosting add a TBS of milk at a time.
To make rainbow unicorn colors:
- Place 1/3 of the prepared buttercream into three separate bowls.
- Add desired food colorings and mix.
- On a piece of plastic wrap, lay each color of the buttercream in a long row side-by-side touching.
- Roll up buttercream in plastic wrap.
- Cut off one end of the plastic wrap and place the entire tube into a tipped pastry bag.
- Frost as usual and the buttercream will come out in colorful swirls.