I have become a buttercream frosting lover which was not always the case. As far back as I can remember, once they started selling canned frosting, that was about all that my Mom used. I certainly can’t blame her due to the mere convenience, but just because somethings new and convenient, it doesn’t necessarily make it good (sorry Mom!).
Now that I make Classic Buttercream Frosting on a regular basis, it’s about the easiest part of banking. I have only had this recipe fail once (I know – that’s pretty darn good!). The reason if failed was because I bought a very (and I mean very) inexpensive no-brand confectioners sugar and ended up with a gritty frosting. On top of that, no matter what I did, it was still gritty. So I’ve learned my lesson, buy the best confectioners sugar…and let’s face it, even the good stuff is not expensive.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 3 TBS milk (you may or may not need this depending upon the consistency and what you are using the frosting for)
- In a stand mixture or using a hand mixture, beat butter on medium for at least 5 minutes until it is light a fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Beat on medium medium high speed for 5 minutes.
- If you need a thinner frosting add a TBS of milk at a time.