In our house Christmas morning has always been calm and focused on family. We have always celebrated church, gift giving and feasting on Christmas Eve. That leaves Christmas morning all to ourselves where we can share warm drinks, good conversation and an easy Christmas morning breakfast.
Growing up, my Mom made the traditional Egg Strata, as she called it, and frankly my Christmas Morning Baked French Toast is just a version of that same make-ahead egg and bread casserole. I love using pomegranate when they are in season. They give that little extra bit and tartness and the color will liven up any dish and they are the perfect touch to say Christmas celebration in this casserole.
If you travel on Christmas morning, this is also a great take along casserole. You can just pop it in the oven while you’re getting ready and when you arrive you can hand your hosts/hostess a delicious, warm, hearty and festive dish to add to the morning meal.
Christmas Morning Baked French Toast
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 1 loaf of Challah bread slide about 1.5 inches thick
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup half n half
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange maramalade
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 TBS toasted sliced almonds
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay slices of bread in the baking dish in a shingled fashion.
- Mix eggs, half n half, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle entire dish with sliced almonds
- Pour egg mixture over bread and press down with your hands or a large spoon to make sure the bread is soaking up all of the mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours but overnight is even better.
- Bake covered for 35 minutes or until full cooked.
- Remove cover (foil) and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- While the french toast is baking, cook the orange juice and the maramlade in a stove top pan; bring to boil and then simmer until mixture thickens.
- To serve, slice french toast, top with orange syrup and pomegranate seeds.