Get ready for your family to devour these Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes. They are cheesy, creamy, yummy potatoes. They will instantly become a family favorite.
- 4 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced thin. (These can be sliced by hand but if you have a mandolin you can get a much more consistent slice.)
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings (same size as the potatoes)
- 3 TBS flour
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start with potatoes and place a layer covering the bottom of the dish, next layer with onions, again with a layer of potatoes and continue until all onions and potatoes are in the casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan on the stovetop, melt butter on medium, add flour and whisk, about 2 minutes, add milk and continue whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken (this may take 3-5 minutes).
- Add dry mustard, ground sage, and nutmeg.
- Add the cheese and once the cheese is fully incorporated, remove from heat.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potato/onion layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from oven, remove foil, and place it back into the oven on broil until they brown.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Holiday side dish, cheesy potatoes