Trying to do this no-carb/low-carb thing is hard. Every time I think of something it involves bread, potatoes or rice. Last week I was really craving a big cheeseburger – but how to with no carbs? That’s when I thought of stuffing all of the familiar flavors of a cheeseburger into a bell pepper – brilliant! Behold the Cheeseburger Stuffed Pepper.
Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers
Cheeseburger without the guilt!
- 3–4 medium sized bell peppers
- 1.5 lbs. of lean ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 1/2 medium sized onion – diced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bag of frozen corn – thawed
- 1 8 oz. bag of shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large sauce pan sauté diced onions in olive oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown until there is no red color.
- Remove from heat, pour off any grease in the pan.
- Add corn and set pan aside.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and ribs.
- Place pepper sitting up in a small casserole dish.
- Back to the beef and corn mixture; add move of the shredded cheese (saving about 1/4 to cover the tops of the peppers later) and stir into mixture.
- Fill the peppers with the beef/corn/cheese mixture; cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. (We like our pepper al dente so if you like them softer cook for an addition 10-15 minutes.)
- Remove from oven, remove foil, top with remaining cheeses and cook for another 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.