Make your own Cheddar Cheese Shortbread crackers with just a few ingredients in 20 minutes. These little bites are so addictive you’ll want to make a double batch.
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese – room temperature
- 2 sticks butter – room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( use 1 teaspoon because I like the spicy taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together salt, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Mix cheese and butter with a stand or hand mixture until smooth.
- Add flour/spice mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Roll dough into small balls (golf ball or smaller size); place on a baking sheet covered with parchment or a non-stick baking pad.
- Press each small ball with a small glass or a shot glass to flatten and make a consistent size.
- Chill to dough balls for 1 hour or freeze them.
- Bake for 15-19 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- I recommend that the first time you make these only add the 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper as the recipe calls for. Unless you don’t mind a bit more heat as we do. I use 1 full teaspoon of cayenne when I make these.
- This dough can be prepared ahead of time and frozen for up to 4 weeks.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: shortbread crackers, cheddar cheese crackers, holiday appetizer, party appetizer, make ahead recipe