Cannelloni are long pasta tubes stuffed with ricotta and parmesan cheeses, spinach, and mild Italian sausage. Then baked in a red sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 large box of Cannelloni or Manicotti noodles – cooked al dente per package
- 3–4 links sweet Italian Sausage
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 15 oz. container of Ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup of romano cheese
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2–3 cups Pasta sauce (you can use a jarred sauce from the grocery store or make your own)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles per package to al dente.
- Remove sausage from casing and brown it in a large pan.
- Remove cooked sausage from pan and drain on a plate covered with 2 paper towels to soak up and remaining grease.
- Place spinach in a stovetop skillet with the TBS of olive oil and cook on medium for no more than three minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove spinach from the pan and let it cool.
- When spinach is cooled, squeeze out any excess fluid. (I do this with a paper towel.)
- In a large bowl combine cooked sausages, spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan and romano cheeses and 3/4 of the mozzarella.
- Add Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper; mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a large baking pan with three-quarters of the pasta sauce.
- Fill each of the cannelloni shells with the sausage, cheese, spinach mixture.
- Place them in the baking dish on top of the pasta sauce.
- Spoon the remaining pasta sauce over noodles.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove foil, add remaining mozzarella cheese and cook for another 5-7 minutes
Keywords: Baked pasta, filled pasta, Manicotti