I was wondering through Cracker Barrel (great place to find little gifts) and I came across these two square skillets. I have a few round skillets in different sizes but not square ones. These immediately called out “BREAKFAST SKILLET” to me so I grabbed them and ran to the cash register.
I brought home my new square skillet finds, cleaned and oiled them and sat them on the counter to be ready for Saturday morning when we like to prepare and eat a larger breakfast and dine pool-side in sunny Florida.
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1–2 TBS canola oil
- ½ bag refrigerator hash browns (the other ½ freezes really well in a zip-top bag).
- ½ onion – diced
- ½ green or red pepper – diced
- Three eggs
- ½ cup cubed ham or Canadian bacon
- Handful of shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Oil skillets well without having any standing oil in the pans; divided onion, green pepper and hash browns and add them to the skillet.
- Place skillets in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges start to turn brown and crispy.
- While hash browns are cooking, add ham to a large stove top skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes until most of the water is dissolved. Beat the three eggs and scramble them with the ham cubes. Set aside when finished.
- When hash browns are cooked, top each skillet with equal amounts of egg/ham and sprinkle tops with Swiss cheese. Please square cast iron skillets back into the oven a bake for another 5 minutes.