This Black Bean Soup recipe is very easy to make. It uses canned black beans, canned tomatoes and a handful of other ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- 3 15-oz. cans of black beans – rinsed and drained
- 16 oz. chicken stock (you can substitute with vegetable stock)
- 1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes (substitute: fire roasted petite diced tomatoes)
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion – diced
- 1 jalapeno – diced
- 1 jalapeno – sliced for garnish
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1/2 TBS chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (we like it extra spicy so we add 1 full teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sour cream, a slice of jalapeno, and salsa for garnish
- lime slices or wedges for garnish
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium high.
- Add onions and jalapenos and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 1-2 mintues.
- Add chicken stock.
- Mash 1 can of the bean in a bowl using a potato masher or a fork
- Add the 2 cans of whole beans and the 1 can of mashed beans to the soup pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce it to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream, jalapeno pepper slices, salsa, and a squeeze of fresh lime.
This soup is really good served the day after you cook it.
- Category: Soups/Stew
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Tex Mex